Monday, October 1, 2012

In the book Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, the authors suggest using online survey instruments to gather information to set meaningful objectives.  I decided to use the standards for my upcoming unit on Population and Demographics to create a survey using www.surveymonkey.com.  I had my students take the survey in class so I could get a grasp on what my students know or don't know about demographics. 

Not all the students took the survey-only half of my studnets.  This was extremely disappointing considering the number of students who were allowed to used their electronic devices for the purpose of the event.  What I did learn is that most of the students who did complete the survey felt they were only somewhat knowledgeable or not knowledgeable about the topic. 

Was this useful to me?  Probably not, as when we usually start this unit, my classes come with limited understanding of the topic.  What I hope is that the students were paying attention to the questions and will use this information to customize their learning. 

So where do I go from here?  I plan on showing the students the results and posting the survey results in the classroom.  If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment